9.1 The consequenses of the conflict
As I look at things I do wonder if at the center of everything there isn't an apparent war over Miley's identity. A war where she wants to find out who she is (whoever that may be) versus what some want her to be (the good girl resurrected). A war people probably believe is 'for her own good'.
As I look at this I think of a quote done by the wrestler Owen Hart. A quote his brother Bret had done for his autobiography 'My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling': "You can be a good person, do everything right, and it doesn't guarantee you anything." Maybe Miley knows this. Maybe Billy Ray and Tish do too.
Does anyone else? And maybe the next question to ask is 'What next'?
So far a lot of things that have happened with Miley have apparently been done with Billy Ray and Tish's consent. Much to the dismay of the outraged, leaving them to wonder if Miley even cares about their views. Or does she consider those views to be irrelevant and she looks down on the audience as there are members of the Hollywood elite that seem to do so. Not just in front of the camera, but behind the scenes as well.
Whether Miley likes it or not she's more than just an average girl. She's also become a symbol, much like the character of Li Nollis was seen as one to his people in the second season of Star Trek:Deep Space Nine. A job he didn't want, but he had it anyway. And at times he stepped up to the plate when he needed to, and would only be let off the hook until he had died.
Is that what it would take for Miley to be a regular girl? To die? I'd like to think she can be a regular girl and still live. But right now she's a symbol to people, and especially her fans...and fans' parents. At first she seemed to be a symbol of hope and values. Now with the scandals and bad reporting people probably wonder if she's not a symbol of failure.
I think at the heart of the conflict is identity. On one end it's who Miley wants to be (whoever that may be), and on the other end its what society wants Miley to be (which is the second coming of the 'good girl').
Performers need to ask themselves "What am I doing this for? Am I doing it for me? Then what is the audience for? Are they just there to prop my ego? Am I just there to take their money? Are they everything to me? Or are they nothing to me?" Myself, I always believed that whenever I write something-or go on stage-that I am there for the audience. If I am not there for them-to provide them with the best show I can-then I have no buisness there.
It helps to build up spirits. Build up the public's morale. And when the public's morale is built up the I believe people might be more accepting of unconventional art, at least moreso than if the world is in a funk. However we as a people do not like being looked down on, kicked around, or devalued by the institutions that are supposed to be providing for us. And that's what I believe has happened, which led to what I perceive as a fear based backlash to the Vanity Fair shot, and maybe even the pole, which led to the outrage that followed to the haters being empowered and ending with the suffering afterwards.
Again, wise muppet that Yoda. But perhaps a lot of this could have been avoided if instead of 'Beautiful shot, respected photographer' some one said 'Will my fans get this? Is it worth it?' That didn't happen though. And I'm sorry if this sounds condescending but when it came down to it, for reasons of their own, Billy Ray and Tish were the parents in charge. Billy Ray and Tish had said 'yes' when people would have wanted them to say 'no'. And Miley's paying the price.
In retrospect I found myself thinking of something from Star Trek:Voyager when Captain Janeway was on a mission to destroy a destructive particle. Sounds hokey I know, but this quote doesn't:
"I know now how Einstein felt when he built the Atom Bomb. Or (Carol) Marcus when she developed the Genesis Device. They watched helplessly as Science took a destructive course."
And I guess Miley and her parents watched helplessly as art took a destructive course. As the Vanity Fair photo became Miley's Genesis Device. Equipped with its own failure. And of course there's the matter of the tattoo (which in my high school would have been considered 'gang related'), which her mother had inked on herself it seems. It is a reminder of her grandfather who died of lung cancer and a friend who died of cystic fibrosis.
"It reminds me not to take anything for granted. I mean breathing-that was something none of them could do, the most basic thing. And I put it near my heart, because that's where it always will be."
As for the pain?
"I could never get a meaningless tattoo, but I think that if you're doing something that's important, that's significant in your life, it takes some of the pain away."
At the end of the day I think most of the evidence leads to one conclusion. Much of what Miley has done that has parents in a huff has been with parental consent. So if anyone have problems, take it up with them. Quit giving a teenage girl grief. I think it makes people look like thugs shaking down someone weaker than themselves. Although this one last quote may give some people ideas:
"I'm doing a record right now that's another pop record, and then I want to come out with an album that's really who I am. I don't know who that is yet." Reading this right now I'm thinking the response to that from the morality police would be "Until you know who you are, be who we want."
And what do they want her to be? Well I think the Harper's Bazzar pictures reflect who they want her to be. A good girl that's naturally beautiful. With a strong sense of right and wrong and the courage and conviction to back that sense up, as well as a zero tolerance policy to mistakes and making them. Can that ideal, or some aspects of it, be attained without forcing it on her or intimidating her into it? Don't know, some I think would say "probably not.". Regardless, Miley may have to face a hard decision soon.
So far it seems she has listened to her parents, and the results have not always been....productive. She may come to a point where she may have to go against her parents if she wishes to maintain, or improve, her status as a role model to teens. And whatever parenting book the Cyrus's have been using that said the controversial moments were okay, I'm wondering if it may be best served to throw that book away for the sake of Miley's audience. Either that or she will have to go against them for the sake of that same audience. Only because I have grave doubts that the morality police will throw away their parenting book.
I could be wrong though. Fingers crossed.
Regardless it has to be Miley's decision. And no amount of force or intimidation will change that.
9.2 Living one's gimmick
Getting back into a WWE frame of mind I remember watching RAW one day, and Jerry Lawler was doing a promo interview with Vince McMahon about a wrestler named 'the Undertaker'. A wrestler who had a gimmick of being a creature of dark powers, who used fear to win his matches.
In the interview Lawler presented a phrase called 'living your gimmick' where a wrestler immerses himself/herself in the character that they play. They immerse themselves so deep that they wind up actually becoming that character in their own mind. To the point where the apparent lie becomes an actual truth, despite any 'revisions' the wrestler may have to make to promote believability. If one's gimmick is that of a 'rich snob' they live the gimmick to the fullest to where they become a 'rich snob'. If one sees himself as a 'party animal' they become the party animal.
Maybe that's what people want Miley to do with the 'good girl' image. Treat it like a gimmick, and live it until it becomes the real her.
9.3 Simply Flawless-I don't think so.
Also recently on WWE Smackdown I have been watching two lady wrestlers (I'm reluctant to call them divas due to the characters they portray) named Layla and Michelle (Michelle's full name is Michelle McCool, but I personally don't find anything 'cool' about her right now), who's characters basically torment other lady wrestlers, belittling them for their imperfections as they like to paint themselves as 'Simply Flawless.'
Their biggest target, a wrestler named Mickie James, whom they like to call 'Piggy' James. And do a series of malicious pranks with 'pig' based themes bullying Mickie in order to hurt her, or get her to leave. They two on one her, and another wrestler named Maria. Mocking them, and crucifying them, for their supposed 'flaws' and 'losses' to build up their own egos, vanity, and pleasure all so they can promote themselves as 'flawless' and 'perfect'. All the while Layla and Michelle overlook their own flaws, flaws which their characters would deny of course, due to their vanity and conceit. Which ironically....ARE their flaws.
Layla and Michelle so focus on outer beauty they let their inner selves become ugly. They drift towards tendencies for cruelty and sadism, taking great joy in the pain they cause. They go after who they believe are easy targets, in a two-on-one capacity. If it's ever one-on-one then they run like cowards, which most bullies tend to be. Occasionally they get their comeuppance, only for them to come back later. So ignoring them, doesn't help.
They like attention on them, and they stop at nothing in order to get it. They think others are beneath them carrying on like they are god's gift, tearing down others to build up their own sense of self importance instead of finding it within themselves. Also believing that in some way those that get torn down deserve it. The mentality of the hater, and the bully. An individual that seems to be everywhere these days. In reality, and in fiction.
Miley has had to deal with people like that in her school days. Even her character on Hannah Montana had to deal with Amber and Ashley, who also seem to pattern themselves as 'Simply Flawless.' And now, even moreso, with the paparazzi, media, bloggers and haters. And even if they've been ignored, they haven't gone away.
I find myself thinking of George Peppard's line on a first season episode of the A-team. He, or rather his character of John 'Hannibal' Smith, said, "Every now and then I like to drop the hammer on a piece of dirt." I wouldn't mind seeing that, even in a work of fiction. Because at some point, something may, if not will, have to be done about the problem of haters. In the media, on the net, in our schoolyards, everywhere. Because from what I see, ignoring doesn't work. And there will probably come a point where deriving pleasure from another's pain won't satisfy the hater or bully. And by then it will be too late. They will have alienated anyone that could have ever cared about them, or wind up hurt themselves. Maybe even in a way that's worse than any way they have hurt anybody.
I think it would be safe to say that the wrestling characters of Michelle and Layla, as they are so focused on physical perfection, haven't even given a thought about the concept of moral perfection. Despite what it could mean to different people, and the ways people look to apply it.
And the ways people have applied it throughout history. The Salem Witch trials. The McCarthy era with the HUAC. Just to name one or two.
9.3 Views from a Miley perspective-Lyric and Melody
I take a look at all I have written. All the perspectives that have come to my mind, and I noticed how at odds I was with my views. On one note I agree with Miley looking to explore her artistic endeavors in order to find out who she is. But on another note I understand the viewpoint of the outraged as they wish Miley would go back to being the wholesome good girl and stay that way.
Don't ask me to understand the hater motivation. Probably the best person to ask about that is the Marquis De Sade. Oh wait, he's dead. But then again he did come up with the concept of Sadism didn't he? Which according to wikipedia is "The derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain or watching pain inflicted on others."
But through it all I realized there was one perspective I haven't seen things through-Miley's. So to that end I found myself reading Miley's book 'Miles to go' and I came across a passage that may reflect Miley's way of thinking. A passage based on two fish she had named Lyric and Melody. Fish that swam in their own little bowl. Their own little life in a jar. Miley thought such a life was a miracle, but also a trap. Lyric and Melody would do the same routine over and over again. Never explore the outside world. Never find out who they were. They were stuck in the jar forever and ever.
Looking at this passage I started making connections between what I wrote and what Miley wrote in this chapter of her book. Basically Miley is one of her fish, Lyric and/or Melody. And the jar could well be the wholesome good girl ideal the outraged seem to want her to embrace. In effect trapping Miley in her own little world unable to escape. Unable to grow.
So I guess the main question to ask is 'why?' Why put her in that jar? Doesn't the jar cut Miley off from the outside world as it cut off Lyric and Melody? In one regard yes. But there is a reason as to why they would want Miley in the jar the ideal represents. They believe it is for her's, and her fans', protection. Essentially they want Miley to be kept safe and their kids kept safe as they are exposed to 'safe' ideas. Thus reinforcing the parents' sense of safety as well.
We all know there are monsters in the world. We see them on the news everyday. We see them around us. We wonder if anyplace is safe. That's one of the reasons people turn to Disney as it seems 'safe and sane' to the family viewer. Well I guess 80+ years of family entertainment will give someone that impression. Sure changes have happened over the years, but those changes always seemed so slow and steady. Not fast and radical as the rest of the world seems to go, with no regard for the consequences. So while the rest of the world moves at breakneck pace Disney is the 'island of hope in a sea of turbulence'.
It is the calm in the ocean of the malicious. For a while Miley was part of that calm, and people want her back in that calm again. The fish bowl of safety was knocked over and they want Miley put back inside. Whoever knocked it over isn't important. The important thing in their minds is to get Miley back in the bowl for her sake and the sake of the other fishes that look at her. She can pretend she's in an aquarium and there are other fishes looking on. Also, in this aquarium, she's the star of the show.
I can see how a figurative fishbowl can be seen as a place of safety. Unfortunately I also agree that it is a trap as well. You can't go anywhere else. And the only way out is at the top of the tank which one can't reach. At least, not without difficulty.
But somehow the fish bowl is knocked over, and people scold the fish for getting out. While others watch the fish squirm as it tries to find water and laugh as it fights to survive. Some would also kick the fish away from the water just so they could watch it squirm. Like I said, don't underestimate people's capacity for cruelty or their ability to enjoy it.
Some believe that for the fish's own good that it should never leave it's bowl, or tank...for its own good. At least that's the rationale. To protect the fish from anyone who would knock over the tank, or wants to watch a fish squirm. And if the people that knock over fish tanks, or watch fish squirm are gone, maybe they can explore the world in a different tank, or wherever. Unfortunately there are too many people out there that want to knock over the fish tank. Threatening the sense of safety that we seek to nurture in ourselves and the 'fish' around us. And for many nothing is more important than being 'safe'.
So should Miley go back into her 'fish tank'? Her 'box' that is the wholesome good girl ideal that parents want her to maintain? Even at the cost of her own artistic expression?
A part of me answers 'yes' for the morale of the audience, parents, and fans, but there's also another part of me that knows Miley can't be safe and sane forever. She has to explore the world around her and find out who she is. Staying in one's own little world may be safe, but they never see what all is out there.
So if she does go back to that wholesome good girl box maybe it should just be....for the time being? Knowing full well that someday she WILL have to leave? Something to think about. But at the end of the day it has to be Miley's choice. And no amount of fear and intimidation is going to help her make it, or go the way people want her to go.
And hate will DEFINITELY be of NO help.
9.4 So why Miley? Why her?
There is also the apparent belief that those with god given talent, and I believe Miley is among them, should set themselves to a 'higher moral standard', as compared to those that don't have such talent. There is another apparent ideal that those who don't have what they believe to be 'god given talent' are the ones that are supposed to resort to stunts in order to stay in the spotlight.
So what do people want from Miley? Moral perfection? Ideological purity? That kind of sounds like President Clark from Babylon 5. Or the words of a madman.
But are these words of a 'madman' who is right? If she thinks this way will she be 'better?' What if 'they' are the ones who are wrong? When one takes a look at the word 'scandal' the general definition is applied to that of 'bad' person. And once they are hit with that label they are guilty until proven innocent. And even then they are guilty.
And I think in the eyes of some they have found Miley guilty.
In their eyes Miley was supposed to be the 'white meat babyface'. Or like described in 'Infinite Crisis' a 'good' person. Polite, brave, honest, knew right from wrong. They may have wanted her to look at Leibovitz picture and say 'This is wrong.'. Have a philosophy where there was no room for mistakes. Every 'i' dotted. Every 't' crossed. Every angle covered. Zero tolerance for mistakes, making mistakes and imperfection. With failure not an option.
Maybe they do want her to be a happy female Dr. Zee. Or Wesley Crusher. As Dr. Smith on 'Lost in Space' would say "Oh, the pain. The pain."
Or maybe they just want an ideal Miley instead of a real one. And they want the ideal to be 'real'. And if this happens will they make Miley a better person? WIll they be better people for forcing Miley to conform to this desired ideal? Or will they, and Miley, become the biggest hypocrites since Roy Cohn? For those who don't know Roy Cohn was a fire and brimstone individual who spoke out on the apparent 'evils' of homosexuality. But what they did not realize was that Cohn himself was a closet homosexual himself. And when he came out....the word 'hypocrite' definitely applied.
In this day and age Miley is saying she wants to be real. But to some 'real' is 'bad'. In today's world people can be afraid that in a 'real' world there are no 'good' guys. Just 'bad' guy and 'worse' guy. So according to this list a 'good' role model is apparently nice, good, happy, celibate, and paranoid. Any deviation, and Miley will apparently be labeled as 'bad'.
I think someone would be quoting Lorne Greene from Battlestar Galactica after reading these terms. Perhaps even Miley herself. That quote?
"That is one opinion. It does not happen to be mine."
What is my opinion? Well to start, I think Miley has her own definition of what makes her a good person. No matter who would try to tear her down. She tries to give to charity. She tries to be there for her fans, even if the media tries to promote worse case scenario about that too, and I think she wants to do good in a world where 'honest bad' is the apparent 'praised virtue'.
Sounds like a rebel with a cause doesn't it? Maybe even a noble one. And this quote may be cliche, and the meaning of it has been distorted to serve to reinforce the ego of the bozos of the world, but 'How cool is that?'
Of course they probably also expect the rest of young Hollywood to act like 'mini adults'. Well I've seen some real adults act like bratty kids in my time. Mostly in college.
People are probably also afraid of some individuals in the world. Individuals that carry on like sex is a game and virginity should be dumped like excess baggage. And that 'scoring' with girls makes you a man. And Miley being sexual is promoting sexuality among teens, and telling young girls it's all right to give in to these individuals regardless of the consequences. And even if Miley said 'no' that this was not what she is looking to do. Will the fears be allayed? Or will the outraged not be happy unless she falls in line with their way of thinking and denounce her parents words as 'wrong'?
A teen saying 'mom and dad are wrong?' Sounds like every kids dream. But in this case it's not for the kids. It's for the parents. Maybe both sides are making the same mistake here. That mistake being in not seeing 'the other side of the coin'.
I think looking back at everything what Miley needs is someone who follows Madonna's example in regards to her 'Black Madonna' idea. Someone to ask 'who will get this and who won't'. And then tell her 'You're not doing this' or 'It's not worth it.'
She probably also needs to stay away from artists like Annie Leibovitz and others who seem to embrace the philosophy of 'Anything goes'. For when one goes down that road the next stop on that journey is the philosophy of 'How low can you go?' And there are some bloggers, artists, even journalists who tend to follow this philosophy all in the name of profit, recognition, or even a byline. Or worse...because it's fun.
The outraged that apparently need to force their ideals on Miley I think need to back away. Their words may be heeded on some occasions, but they could just as well get a 'Go to Hell' for their actions. Especially if their actions and words are empowering malicious haters. Even if the intentions of the outraged are good they can backfire drastically with Miley going away from the ideal BECAUSE of the outrage shown to her. Just as Miley's actions have backfired on occasion.
It would probably help Miley to understand the philosophy most of these people are apparently coming from. This seems to be a simple one where "Bad is wrong. Good is right. Mistakes are 'bad'. Perfection is 'good'." And Miley should only do, and be, 'good'. And, to them, good seems to be the 'Wholesome Miley.' not the 'Brittney wannabe Miley' as they see that road leading to nothing but free sex, parties, drugs, shaved heads, bad marraiges, and publicized trips to the hospital for bi-polar disorders, or in Lindsey's case carted away in an ambulance after getting arrested for a DUI. Not that it will, but I believe that is the road they see.
As I think of this I think of Fred Durst, lead singer for Limp Bizkit. A victim of bullying himself. When he found out that his songs were being used to empower bulies he stepped away and re-evaluated where he stood. The morality police could probably learn from Mr. Durst's example and step back. Refuse to allow their words to be abused and misused.
But will they?
And as for the malicious haters who seem to be empowered by the words of the outraged. The philosophy of 'just ignore them maybe the'll go away' never works. Because they can also take it as a sign that what they are doing is right and that it is okay for them to do. And they stay on the attack until they get a reaction. A reaction that could lead to the victim hurting themselves, falling into the same vices the outraged criticize others for, or worse-committing suicide.
And if Miley dies there will be some celebrating it. Some did at Michael Jackson's death. If you don't believe me check out some YouTube or message board posters. I remember when a driver on Miley's bus died one of those reviewers was saying how Miley, Brittney and Lindsey should have been on the bus too. The reason why? 'so the trash could have been taken out.'
Sick words. And it seems like no one cares. Because of the seeming lack of caring the malicious haters do what they do (hurt, humiliate) for a simple reason:personal gain, pleasure, and amusement. And so far they have been given a free pass for their actions. A pass granted by the morality police, and by the media from the looks of it. Read some of the articles that come your way if you doubt what I'm saying.
I believe these malicious individuals that hurt people, whether it be celebrity or not, need to be brought to account for their words and actions. And know that these actions have consequences. Because if people continue to ignore, or look the other way, the malicious will think something is right to do and continue on with their behavior until they get a reaction or someone gets hurt.
To them ignoring just means "We are right to do this. We are right to tear her down for every imperfection. We are right to call her 'Slutty' for the Annie Leibovitz photo and the Brittney emulation. We are right to hate her for her 'funny faces'. We are right to call her a 'disgrace'. We are right to give her grief for not staying 'good and wholesome'. We are right to bash a teenage girl. We are right to hurt someone."
And there is no one saying "No. You are wrong."
'Just ignore them. Maybe they'll go away.' doesn't work anymore. Maybe it never did.
What makes this sad is that I think Miley was supposed to be this 'ray of sunshine' in people's lives in a world where 'gritty realism' is praised. But I have found that in a world of 'gritty realism' the light must be dimmed or never allowed to shine. And any that try to shine a light, apparently must be exposed as someone as dark as they are....or a hypocrite.
Now that light has been dimmed. Or has it?
There are those that can't stand light and seek to bring others into their own dark little worlds where they are king, or queen. It's been known that misery loves company, and if there is another 'ray of sunshine' that comes through in the world (Demi Lovato seems to be the likely candidate) will anyone care for it? Or will they fear it becomes dimmed again as we are lost in the eternal darkness of gritty realism that not everyone wants?
With different takes and views, as well as attitudes maybe Cardinal Borusa was right in the Doctor Who episode 'The Deadly Assassin'.
"Only in mathematics will we find truth."
Or maybe there's another message that is said here. One that is a little more 'down to Earth'. A message that goes something like this:
'I am a good person and I can continue to be a good people. Just not on your terms.'
And for those who think I'm overanalyzing. Well, see how you like it.
I think looking back at this people need to realize 'making mistakes doesn't make you 'bad''. It's how you handle them that makes you 'bad'. And just because Miley doesn't have YOUR morality and ethics doesn't mean she doesn't have SOME kind of morality and ethics.
And Miley, if you ever read this there's one last thing I want to say. If you come to another situation where they want you to be 'artistic' or 'funny' remember your audience. Think of them and ask yourself this one question.
'Is it worth it?'
And after you have your answer ask yourself why it's worth it, then be aware that ot everyone will have the same answer as you. For you yourself have mentioned that there are people who see you as a hero, little girls especially. And as Clark Kent said in a ninth season episode of Smallville "Heroes don't always get second chances. And there is NO room for mistakes. Not while the world is watching."
And as I look at this work I can already imagine people thinking 'This guy must be an idiot, or a kook, or maybe he's just nuts'. Well, consider this. There are people out there in the world who decided that it was perfectly acceptable to exploit and tear down a teenage girl for their own gains and their own amusements. And some of them, were grown adults. Or at least were supposed to be.
So I have to ask, who's crazier?
9.5 Is old school really cool?
I mentioned before a quote that indicated "Old school is cool." But is it really?
I found myself reading an old Esquire magazine which featured Megan Fox, and what I noticed were a few comparisons to Miley. In retrospect Miley could be considered more on par with Megan Fox rather than Lindsey Lohan. Incidently, Fox did work with Lohan in the film 'Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen'. I don't think she liked the experience.
Both Fox and Miley are from Tennessee. Fox has also dealt with 'outraged' individuals and the apparent 'morality police' when she was in school. In the article she mentions that her school experience consisted of 'sex before marraige is bad' individuals that were expecting a certain attitude from her. An attitude Fox came to resent. Fox has also gotten several artistic tattoos on her body, as compared to Miley's one (so far?). And Fox has also expressed distain for people trying to force her into what she considers a 'purity ring, Taylor Swift-like, Disney princess mold', or something along those lines.
So even though Miley may takes some musical cues from Brittney Spears, her attitude and artistic cues may come from Megan Fox more than Lindsey Lohan. Looking as how the 'morality police' use Lohan, and Brittney, as their symbols of what would happen if you don't take the 'purity ring, Taylor Swift-like, Disney princess mold' approach a lot of young Hollywood stars may want to thank Brittney and Lindsey like the Bundy's thank their father for his blunders in episodes of 'Married with Children'. Watch a few episodes of the earlier seasons to find out what I mean.
It's possible Miley's attitudes to art and life are similar to Megan Fox's. However that does not allieviate the fears the outraged and morality police may have.
I think when Miley first started out Hollywood was on this reality and dysfunction kick. Pretty much all one saw on the tube was reality TV with people screwing one another, talking smack, ruthless competitions, soap opera drama, etc. it was like the worst of people was being brought out and praised-to the point where people wondered if the best of people was being knocked down and treated like an old relative that people couldn't wait to shove off to a nursing home. Let them collect their benefits...they've had their day.
It was getting to the point where Hollywood, and people, were operating without any moral restraint. They operated on the ideas of 'Anything goes', and in some cases 'How low can you go?' Then Miley came along.
A girl that could sing, act, came from a family of performers, came from a Christian background, wanted to be a role model to young girls, worked for a family friendly company. I think a lot of people looked at her as 'the second coming of wholesome goodness', or at the very least 'one of us', whoever 'us' was. Then the scandals happened, and in their minds they saw someone who was 'one of us' become 'one of them'.
And as a result people hated on Miley and villified her. Some for fun, some because she didn't stay 'wholesome', and others believe they are trying to save her as they show 'tough love'. They looked to provide for a supposed greater good that kept Miley to the 'good girl' image she started out with. But as I take a look at all that has been said and written, I think people are more afraid than they are angry.
I believe that in the minds of the outraged Miley was supposed to be a symbol of the return of 'wholesome family values', and say 'no' to the sex sells ideals promoted by Hollywood. Something I think Miley and the Cyrus' weren't expecting her to be. But in a world where sex and dysfunction were being promoted instead of honor, compassion and family unity people believed a new symbol was needed. People may have thought the old symbols lost their meaning, were torn down, or just deemed not important anymore.
And if there were no symbols of what was good anymore what's left? A world of bad guy and worse guy? Where people operate with little to no moral restraint? Where compassion is a weakness? Where it is every one for themselves and the problems of others are no one's concern?
Well maybe this has happened. And that....THAT is people's worst fear. Because all they want is for people to stand for what is good in the world again, and care for one another. Not just say it, but mean it.
And for that to happen people believe Miley needs to follow some code of honor. Some way of order. And maybe the rest of Hollywood needs to do this too. Perhaps that is what the 'higher standard' is supposed to be. A code of honor to follow as compared to the 'Anything goes' approach, the 'How low you can go' approach, or the 'Do whatever you want, just don't get caught' approach which mostly is only used to stand for one's own petty interests.
Old school may be cool to some, but the way it can be enforced may not be. Regardless....life can't be an endless party. The party has to end, and one has to contribute to the betterment of the world somehow...and sometime. And the problems of others HAS to be a concern.
9.7 Higher Standards and the Prime Directive
In today's world celebrities and leaders are held to a higher standard. And when one goes against that higher standard it seems like there is no shortage of people ready to jump out and say "Gotcha!" or kick dirt in the face of the person-figuratively and literally if they think they can get away with it. But what exactly is the 'higher standard?'
Is it a set of rules celebrities must live by? Is it a way of life that is expected of public figures? Or is it like how Captain Picard once described the Prime Directive on a first season episode of Star Trek:The Next Generation? And for those not familiar with Trek, the Prime Directive is a directive that forbids the intervention in the affairs of other civilizations, and their cultures. Unless a request is submitted for aid the Federation does not intervene no matter how much it might want to.
This is due to the help being given might solve the immediate problem, but lead to a worse problem down the road. A problem that could lead to disaster for an entire civilization.
"The Prime Directive is not just a set of rules. It's a philosophy. A philosophy that dictates that no matter how well intentioned our wish to interfere in a culture might be, the results could prove disastrous."
Of course sometimes Kirk and Picard had wound up....broadly interpreting the Prime Directive for the safety of members of his crew. And sometimes those results had been favorable. Yet there have been others where interference in civilizations was not a good thing. And yet the 'Higher Standard' could be seen in a similar light. Where it's not just a set of rules, but a philosophy. A philosophy that dictates that no matter how we wish to live, or what we wish to do with our lives, the results could prove disastrous. Not just for ourselves, but the people we are looking to serve. In this case, our audiences.
And like Starfleet with the Prime Directive, there are people in the world that take the 'Higher Standard' very seriously. To the point where they expect Hollywood stars to take it with a similar amount of seriousness....if not more so. Whether it's thought to be fair or not.
9.8 Final thoughts
Thought this would never end didn't you? Well things have to end sometime. And remember that if you had a hard time reading this I had an even harder time writing this. Especially as it took me several drafts, and read throughs, to do.
But I wanted to make sure I got this right. Everything that has happened to Miley really got me thinking...a lot, as my writing dictates. And I have to ask to sum everything up 'What is it that the morality police and the haters want?'
For the morality police I'd say they want the 'good' Miley back and for her to stay that way. They probably want her to stay that way until the day she dies. For the haters they either want her as a bi-polar sobbing wreck or her gone from Hollywood altogether. Usually it's for pleasure but sometimes it could be so their favorite performer has an easier time making it to the top.
And if they get what they want, then what? Well the morality police can give themselves props that they 'saved' her from 'going bad' or 'turning into Brittney or Lindsey' which to them is probably the same thing. The haters will likely move onto their next target, emboldened by their actions as they worship their choice like their entertainment preference is God. I kid you not. This could happen.
What is sad about this is that the haters tend to act without any concepts of remorse, compassion or conscience. They tend to believe that the world is a mud pit and everyone should wallow in it like pigs, as long as they are the pig that's king. The logic of the outraged I believe is that they think they are doing a good thing. However in their belief they tend to look the other way in regards to haters, or most likely take an attitude of 'That's your problem. Not ours.'
What unifies them? This is an answer I think no one is going to like.
Somewhere in the back of these individuals minds the outraged and haters believe that Miley deserves the grief she gets. Whether the slight is real or imagined. They take solace in this belief as they take the actions they do for reasons of their own. Whether it be the return of the good girl or her gone altogether.
"To err may be human, and to forgive may be divine". But I'm wondering if some people are thinking that condemning is a lot more fun. I think the haters would tend to think more towards the 'fun' part. But looking back at everything what all has Miley done that's in any comparison to Brittney and Lindsey?
Has Miley partied at clubs like Brittney and Lindsey? Not that I've seen.
Has Miley had brushes with the law like Brittney and Lindsey? No. No DUI's. No jail time.
Has Miley done drugs like Brittney and Lindsey? No.
Has Miley had a lesbian relationship or kiss? No. And I'm sure some will say 'Not yet.'
Has Miley posed nude on the internet? No. She's not Vanessa Hudgens. Miley had her underwear on the whole time. She may change her mind in the future though as she mentioned she may do nude if it's 'classy'.
So right now I'd say that the only thing Miley is guilty of right now is....questionable humor, how questionable I'll leave to others to determine, and broad art tastes. Art tastes that her parents have signed off on. Remember that.
I just picked up the latest issue of Action Comics, which is Action Comics 885, in it was a line that General Sam Lane had said. A line that can reflect how one person can see something and another can see something else entirely.
"People in Metropolis. They say 'Look up in the sky!' And if they saw a cape, they'd call it a symbol of hope. They'd cheer. They never understood. It's a symbol, all right. But not of hope. You know what I think when I look up in the skies?
I think 'INCOMING!'"
Lane is a military man that is blinded by his own hatred of Superman. A hatred that spread to the survivors of the Kryptonian race that survived the destruction of their home planet. As such he's was willing to adjust the truth so that the world sees what he sees in the Kryptonians-a threat that must be destroyed. He takes this to the point of engineering assassinations, employing a body double of Supergirl at a scene of a disaster leaving Metropolis without water, and employing media moguls like Morgan Edge to give media propaganda against the Kryptonians.
General Lane essentially lies to promote his version of the truth. Seeing things through his own hate filled perceptions, and his own ideals.
I don't think Miley wants to look at the world through hate. It seems like too many people do today. They also have their reasons for it, again real or imagined. Still...looking back I find myself torn. I've always believed that the audiences came first. They are who the performances are for. But I can't think the haters, outraged and special interest groups are right either. Especially as they went after Miley, and not her parents.
I also think the outraged looks at Miley's "growing up" from a different perspective, much like General Lane looked at the Kryptonians through a different perspective. In their eyes they don't see Miley 'growing up.' They see her as 'going bad'. And that perspective leads people to think their outrage and actions are for 'good' reasons.
Also, bear in mind this upcoming November Miley will turn 18, and will no longer be under parental authority. So at this point Miley will be deciding her own career path, and and scrutiny she receives will be her own. No parental protection, not that I think she had any. The media always seemed to bypass them to get to her.
So with that I leave with this quote from Superman #694. A speech Ma Kent gave Mon-El of Daxam:
"Clark does so much good. But sometimes evil gets the upper hand with him too. You think with all that (Lex) Luthor got away with...that it didn't bother Clark? He'd come here to talk of an evening sometimes...and this is what Jonathan would tell him.
'Yes sometimes the good guys get played and conned. But you keep on. You begin again. Never give up being the best you can be. Never give up on good ideals, and in the end, victory...the BIG victory, will always go to you'".
And this was from Superman's mother, Martha Kent, reciting the words of her husband. Words I hope Miley knows.
9.9 What about me?
That's what I have to ask myself. Why am I doing this? Why am I writing this that may come off as jibberish to some that only a select group may understand? Or wish to understand?
Am I looking for fame by proxy? Writing this seems like a good way to do that. But if that was all I did then what I said would have no meaning. I wanted what I wrote to be from the heart even if only 25% of the world got it. Probably less. Despite probable ridicule I decided...this was worth it.
I sympathize, and empathize, with Miley. I can't think what the morality police and the media are doing to her is right, especially as all it does is empower haters. But that doesn't mean I can't see where they are coming from either. I do have concerns about the direction Miley is going. I too would like to see Miley 'good' again, but that's got to be her choice. Despite my own feelings I can't agree with the methods being used to apparently deliver this message. Methods that leads to nothing but fear, anger and suffering. Forcing her to be a 'good girl' will not do her any good, and it's probable that such forcing is pushing her away from that ideal.
I also take a look at the world around me and I see sex, war, scandal, drama, all plastered everywhere. It seems like anyone that wants to do good in the world has got to be torn down to make ready for a world no of 'good guy and bad guy' but one of 'bad guy and worse guy', with neither one knowing which is which. I can see Miley's point of view on things, yet I can also see the morality police's point of view as well. And as I think of these things I find myself thinking of a quote I heard somewhere. "There are no good guys in the world. We've killed them all."
I used another quote I wrote in a previous 'long article' about another....matter. A quote that reflected a....piece of entertainment. A quote that reflected what I thought of how that entertainment was handled, and how members of its audience were treated. That quote was "With few exceptions this show was made by assholes for assholes." And if they said they weren't an asshole I'd ask "I don't know. Are you?"
Nowadays I think the world provides for assholes and good people have to be punished. One has to look real hard to find anything good in the world, and they want to hold onto it before it gets corrupted. Perhaps that is the motivation Superman of Earth-2 had, as well as Alex Luthor and others. But while Superman 2 had a change of heart, Alex Luthor and Superboy Prime continued on their dark fall.
There was some unintended good that came out of Superman-2, Superboy Prime, and Alex Luthor's actions. The JSA was reformed with it's mandate revolving around one central statement.
"The world needs BETTER good guys."
And I find myself agreeing with this. I don't think we need to 'keep it real' any longer. Especially if all 'keeping it real' means that only the haters benefit from that.
As I quoted before: 'Perception is reality'. Maybe it's time to change perceptions.
I guess to finally end this I'm going to borrow a page out of Miley's book and do my own list of 7 things I'd like to see done, or would like to do.
7. Miley to work with David Tennant on a stage production, TV show or movie. I think he's fun to work with (even though I've never met him).
6. Miley to listen to the songs 'The Touch' and 'Dare' by Stan Bush. Rocking songs that are very uplifting, and have a positive message.
5. My car to stop breaking down every month.
4. Rebuild my finances, which I can't do due to my car breaking down every month.
3. Get my trailer restored so I can finally start my life. I'm running out of youth.
2. I want the good guys back. No more 'being real disguised as 'bad guy/worse guy' but compassionate heroes that stand for causes greater than themselves. Care about others and stand up for what they believe it.
I thought about making this number one, but as I wrote this down I found I wanted something else for Miley...and maybe for me as well as others. So here's number one, and the END of this puppy.
1. To have a good life.
And yet there is also one more thing I would like Miley to do. Next time she goes to Annie Leibovitz or some photographer that takes part in 'sexy' pictures, or risque. Or does anything 'risque' look out to the audience, or think of them. Look out at what she's looking to do, think of her fans, and ask one question.
"Is it worth it?"
And no matter what happens.
Please put the fans, and the audience, first. Or work with us to find a middle ground. Because despite what others would say....I believe we DO matter.
And if anyone sees anything 'sexual' about her performances ask yourselves this 'Do you see mayonaise and a rake anywhere?'
No comments:
Post a Comment